Friday, April 18, 2008

New Battlestar Galactica season, and other TV shows

Alright, so I don't really have much to say on this particular subject quite yet, as I have been unable to watch the two episodes of Battlestar Galactica Season 4 that I managed to download, and I haven't downloaded the next one yet either. Or were there two? Well, anyhow, however many there are, I have yet to watch them.

I had hoped to watch them at work during the periods of slowness that I have had lately, but for some reason the files are not playing on this computer. So, for now, I must wait and hopefully watch the two I have tomorrow (well, today now. I may not get much sleep, just so I can watch them!)

Surely, I am not the only one who is a fan of the show who has had all of the questions about "Who's the 5th cylon?" and "Is that REALLY Starbuck, or a copy, or is she a cylon"? Didn't she die last season getting sucked into that planetary storm, chasing a phantom cylon raider, when Apollo was trying to rescue her? So how is it that during that cool rendition of "All Along the Watchtower" at the end of the season, she should appear out of nowhere, fly up to Apollo and tell him she's been to Earth?

For the 5th of the silent cylons, my best guess is Baltar. I think it's kind of a copout, but it makes the most sense based on the way that he and Caprica Six have that subconcious manifestation of each other that talks to them in times of need. Hopefully it isn't Adama, because that would just be ridiculous, and I think that President Roslin would be a bad choice as well.

Dee (Anastasia Dualla) or Mr. (Felix) Gaeta, though. One of those two could indeed be the 5th cylon. I don't really have a compelling argument for Dee, but for Gaeta - like the Chief, Anders, and Tigh, at least; I'm not sure about Tory's involvment - he was specifically and directly involved in the fight against the cylons on New Caprica. It's interesting that those other 3 were so directly involved, and happen to be of this particular "outcast" offshoot of the humanoid cylons, yet so deeply ingrained is their humanity, that they do not turn from their duties aboard the ship and seek to almost prove that they are human, no matter that they now realize the truth about themselves. It makes me wonder about the exact nature of what happened to create these other cylons that they first seven won't even talk about, and how they relate to the other seven. Or if there is any relation at all?

Too many questions...

Then, in the between-seasons movie, Razor, first we learn a lot of different things about Carpica and Kane's relationship - kind of a shocker there, but it explains a few things as well. And, of course, there is that single sentence that really makes you wonder: "Starbuck will lead humanity to it's downfall." Does this mean that they are going to find Earth to discover that it is already barren, lifeless and empty, humanity already long gone by poisoning itself, or simply leaving again and heading elsewhere? Or, do the cylons come, find it, and decide - this is OURS, and goodbye humanity, soon thereafter levelling the civilizations on Earth and the "ragtag fleet" before taking the Earth as their new home?

Yes, still too many questions...

Well, I guess once I start to watch the series, some of these things will begin to take shape and clear up, and then, there may be even more questions still. I am alos looking forward to the new series Caprica that I have read about here and there on the net. Sounds very delicious!!! Can't wait!

Other TV shows I like that I have been watching lately include Survivor (fan since season 2), How I Met Your Mother (discovered it in season 2 and became an instant fan when I found a YouTube clip of the slap bet and a whole thing on Barney Stinson - Legen - wait for it... wait for it... DARY! Yeah!), Criminal Minds (though I am still trying to get caught up on Season 2 and then get into Season 3), and Stargate Atlantis (seen about half this current season, but I have missed a few of the middle episodes for the same reason I have yet to watch the new season of Galactica - darn codecs on these work computers!!!).

I have missed a couple of episodes of Survivor so far and will need to download those. I was really looking forward to this season with the Fans vs. Favorites, but when Johnny Fairplay came and went in a puff of thin white smoke, with no attempts to finaigle his way into the million dollars and the hearts and hates of all the world, I was very disappointed. The one character - for that is what they are, at the heart of the matter - who would have really shaken things up, was nothing more than a footnote, not a headline. Even now (or at least in the episode I last watched), the best they have are Ozzy and James. James, yeah, very likeable guy, but being romantically involved with Parvati, I have a feeling he won't last long, and Ozzy is going to dig his own grave soon as well. Cirie, while a likeable character before, is actually annoying me this go-round. Everyone is bowing to her whim, and she has really dictated the way things have gone (keeping in mind, that I am about 2 ep's behind, so this could be old news now).

Yes, I am behind on all of my shows. One of the pitfalls of the night shift, I guess, is that it is hard to keep up on all of those shows that I like to watch. Perhaps someday I will get into a day shift again and can catch up, or watch the shows as they were meant to be watched - sitting on the couch with a can of beer and a bag of chips, yelling at the kids to SHUT THE HE... no, not really.

Anyway, since I really have nothing at the moment, and I keep getting calls (it's been a busy night with only 6 of us staffing the phones tonight) I guess I will go and try to do some actual work... ;)

Be good, take care of yourselves, and don't forget to brush your teeth!

Cheers!

Slyde

No comments:

Slyde's Space Vistor Counter